Jaehyoung Cho, Ph.D.
- Deep mining of PIWI interacting proteins
- Small RNA-mediated gene regulation, chromatin remodeling and aging
- Transcriptome-wide mapping of hnRNP interacting sites on pre-mRNA and functional dissection of hn proteins
03/1996 – 02/2001: Ph. D., Department of Molecular and Life Sciences, Pohang university of Science and Technology, Pohang, Korea. (Advisor: Dr. Chi Bom Chae)
03/1994 – 02/1996: M. S., Department of Life Science, Pohang university of Science and Technology, Pohang, Korea. (Advisor: Dr. Chi Bom Chae)
03/1988 – 02/1994: B. S., Department of Biology, Korea university, Seoul, Korea.
02/2001 – 10/2001: Research associate at Pohang University of Science and Technology
11/2001 – 10/2007: Post-doctoral Scholar at California Institute of Technology
11/2007 – 04/2009: Senior Research Faculty at California Institute of Technology
04/2009 – 07/2011: Staff Research Associate at UCLA
08/2011 – present: Staff Scientist at Caltech
03/1994 – 08/1994: T. A. (Biochemistry Lab. I; Bio 302)
09/1996 – 02/1997: T. A. (Microbiology Lab.; Bio 304)
03/1998 – 08/1998: T. A. (Biochemistry I; Bio 301)
Honors and Awards
Gosney Research Fellowship, California Institute of Technology, 2002-2003
Best Poster Awards, Annual Meeting of the Korean Society for Molecular biology, 1999
- Cho J and Goentoro L. Robust regulation of body axis patterning using a novel relative sensing mechanism of beta-catenin levels in early Xenopus embryo development. (manuscript in prepararion)
- Cho J*, Bahadorani S*, Lo T Jr, Walker DW. Enhanced mitochondrial biogenesis rescues the defects of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis in a novel Drosophila model. (under revision). *These authors contributed equally.
- Jaehyoung Cho*, Jae H. Hur*, Jacqueline Graniel, Seymour Benzer, and David W. Walker. Expression of Yeast NDI1 Rescues a Drosophila Complex I Assembly Defect. 7(11):e50644. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0050644 (2012) *These authors contributed equally.
- Rera M*, Bahadorani S*, Cho J *, Koehler C, Ulgherait M, Hur JH, Ansari W, Lo T Jr, Jones DL, Walker DW. Modulation of longevity and tissue homeostasis by the Drosophila PGC-1 homolog. Cell Metabolism 14: 623-634 (2011). *These authors contributed equally.
- Cho J, Hur JH, Walker DW. The role of mitochondria in Drosophila aging. Experimental Gerontology, 46(5): 331-334. (2011)
- Bahadorani S*, Cho J*, Lo T Jr, Contreras H, Lawal HO, Krantz DE, Bradley TJ, Walker DW. Neuronal expression of a single-subunit yeast NADH-ubiquinone oxidoreductase (Ndi1) extends Drosophila lifespan. Aging Cell, 9(2): 191-202. (2010) *These authors contributed equally.
- Hur JH, Cho J, Walker DW. Aging: Dial M for Mitochondria. Aging (Albany NY), 2(1): 69-73 (2010)
- Copeland JM, Cho J, Lo T Jr, Hur JH, Bahadorani S, Arabyan T, Rabie J, Soh J, Walker DW. Extension of Drosophila life span by RNAi of the mitochondrial respiration chain. Curr Biol. 19(19): 1591-1598 (2009)
- Iwata N, Zhang J, Atzmon G, Leanza S, Cho J, Chomyn A, Burk RD, Barzilai N, Attardi G., Aging related occurrence in Ashkenazi Jews of leukocyte heteroplasmic mtDNA mutation adjacent to replication origin frequently remodeled in Italian centenarians. Mitochondrion. 7(4): 267-272. (2007)
- Miguel Martin*, Jaehyoung Cho*, Anthony J. Cesare, Jack D. Griffith, and Giuseppe Attardi, Termination factor-mediated DNA loop between termination and initiation sites drives mitochondrial rRNA synthesis. Cell, 123: 1227-1240. (2005) *These authors contributed equally.
- Jaehyoung Cho, Yun Kyung Lee and Chi Bom Chae, The modulation of the biological activities of mitochondrial histone Abf2p by yeast PKA and its possible role in the regulation of mitochondrial DNA content during glucose repression. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1522: 175-186. (2001)
- Jaehyoung Cho, Sang Jin Ha, Ling Rong Kao, Timothy L. Megraw and Chi Bom Chae, A Novel DNA-binding Protein Bound to the Mitochondrial Inner Membrane Restores the Null Mutation of Mitochondrial Histone Abf2p in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol. Cell. Biol. 18: 5712-5723. (1998)